Thursday, June 28, 2007

A school for Cait

Here we go - round three of the Primary 1 registration rigmarole. This time, for Caitlin.

Last week, KH returned the IJ OLGC form with the "I-do-not-choose-to-register-my-daughter" box ticked.

Tomorrow we will meet the principal of Canossa Convent and the Special Needs teacher from Yang Zheng Primary. So far CHIJ TP has not replied to my email.

We've narrowed it down to these three schools.

Canossa - because it's in the same compound as Magdalene's Kindy where Cait goes to school and so it's familiar turf to her. Also because they will have a Special Needs (SN) officer trained to help dyslexic children in school. Not saying that Cait is dyslexic since she has not been tested, but with a family history and with her showing some familiar signs, I thought it might be better to be safe than sorry. We also like the school environment - very home-like and friendly. And of course, it's a Catholic girls' school. However, the downside is that it seems to be 'out of the way' - not connected to a town centre like IJ Toa Payoh and public transport links to and from school is not as convenient. And while Canossa is affiliated to St Anthony's Convent Secondary - it is in Bedok and way too far from home.

CHIJ TP - Used to be our first choice. Near home, good transport links, Catholic all-girls' school etc. But with our fears/concerns over dyslexia surfacing, I wonder if it would be the right place. Same concerns re Gillian - a less stressful and academic-driven environment might be better? We also like IJ because it seems to be a more dynamic, 'happening' school in a vibrant township. Also, they are affiliated to IJ Sec - which helps. On the other hand, er, too much 'vibrant town life' may lead to 'unauthorised' after school jaunts etc. Have you seen the many IJ girls hanging out in Toa Payoh Central lately - those with the belts pulled low on their hips, pinafores pulled high up halfway past their thighs?? Granted these are the Sec Sch girls but still!!! OK, I sound like a bit of a judgemental prude don't I? :-)

Yang Zheng - like it because it's just round the corner - Cait can easily walk to and from school. And in later years, can even hop to her mama's (grandmother's) house less than 300m away should this become necessary. Yang Zheng is an old school with a lot of history - 101 years old - and perhaps the local neighbourhood/chinese-speaking environment might help improve Cait's Chinese? It also has a SN Officer but not for dyslexia but autism. But perhaps with its experience with special needs children, it may be an environment which is more sympathetic and compassionate to children facing difficulties. However, it is not a Catholic school and a mixed-gender school is untested territory for me.

Two nights ago, I tried to teach Cait to read. She seemed to pick up quite fast. She's pretty enthusiastic about it. We've 'finished' Book 1A of the Peter-and-Jane Ladybird series. She can also read half of Book 1B. We finished 1A in one night. She seems to recognise the words, reading each as opposed to memorising the structure/context (coping skills that dyslexic children employ). She can read the words I point to. But when I show her a similar word in a different book, she's stumped. So I am going to be cautious about this. We'll go through Book 1A and 1B again slowly until I am confident that she really can read the words and is not just relying on memorising those pages/whole sentence structures.

School has started and Cait has been crying two days out of the four that has gone by. She is fearful about going to school because she lost her chinese book or tore her chinese worksheet and is afraid the Chinese teacher will scold. The crying usually starts the night before.

I feel sorry for my baby and I empathise with her - the fear/and the stress of facing a scolding - never pleasant! I talked to her about being brave. She is the bravest of all my children (this is true and I tell her so!). She has a great deal of inner strength and determination - and while she may cry at night and before the bus comes, when push comes to shove, she will make herself go. I tell her it's alright - things will work out, she will be fine, to ask Mother Mary to cover her with her blue cloak when she is scared, that she can come home and I will be there to hold her tight if she feels sad.

I also volunteer to write a note to the teacher.

Now, I normally don't do this because I think if the kids do something wrong they just have to face the music (I tell Cait this too - that if she tore the paper accidentally, she just has to own up to Lao Shi and be honest, face whatever Lao Shi says as bravely as she can), BUT I also have a gut feel about this particular teacher that does not sit right with me. In my interactions with her, from the time we first met, during PT- meetings etc, when I pick Cait up from school and from the casual comments dropped by Caitlin about what happened in Chinese class, what Lao Shi says etc, I don't think this woman particularly likes children very much. Something about how she smiles - a thin, icy smile that never quite reaches the eyes. I sense a certain impatience and lack of warmth and tolerance. I suspect she can be quite stinging in her rebukes/scolding. I don't know if I am right - just a gut feel that I have.

So I wrote a note - a casual, non-committal one - to the class teacher, telling her how Cait feels and hoping that the Chinese teacher will be gentle. Incidentally for what it's worth, Cait never has an issue with her main class teacher. She is a lovely, warm woman, patient and enthusiastic with the children and you can tell this from just talking to her.

Yesterday after work, I asked Cait how was school. And she chirped, oh it was fine! Lao shi didn't scold me after all - I did what you said and told Lao Shi the truth - that I was sorry I tore the paper and Lao Shi said it was ok!

Phew.

Do not a repeat of the 'I-Don't-Want-To-Go-School' trauma that I had with Gillian!!

3 comments:

Karmeleon said...

*hah* Last year, I got rid of the kids' old books quite quickly because I was going to be extremely busy that holidays, so wanted to make sure I had everything done.

Then... Tim said he needed to use his Chinese workbook (cheh! I thought it was done with! Exams over already, wat!). So had to tell him to tell his Chinese teacher that his mother threw away the books already. ;-P The teacher just said "wah, so fast, ah?" *haha* Luckily it's a very very kind Chinese teacher.

Baby-Poppet-Wolfie-Betsy-Babe said...

My dear Sistah...i do believe i remember when you were in school also hitching your skirts up leh!

aiyah! Tell my princess all will ok...chinese teachers always scare me when i was in school...and they still do! Is it possible that the Chinese teacher does not have patience for parents?

Hmmm..i think chinese teachers need a whole PR job done on their image.

Anonymous said...

Would you consider homeschooling/unschooling, or whatever the hell they call it? LOL! You could do that and just send her to one of those Chinese enrichment classes once or twice a week, if you're worried about her Chinese.