Monday, July 02, 2007

Canossa or not?


KH and I met the Principal of CCPS. A very nice and warm lady. No airs, she was very friendly, no-nonsense, down-to-earth and frank - I like her! We also liked what she said about CCPS.


She was honest and said that CCPS was 'quite' academically oriented. But they don't turn the screws until P3. In P1 and P2, the focus is to get the girls reading well first.

Also like the fact that the Canossian Sisters are still very much involved in the running of the school as well. Also like it that the school is not going for upgrading or PRIME anytime soon. Its a 1941 building and we like it that way! Not going single session anytime soon either - because of the lack of space, so they will still be am/pm sessions. Discipline in the school is strict. No catechism lessons and no Days of Obligation masses (the nuns believe that catechism is the premise of the parents).

Some of the kids from the hearing-impaired school will join the girls in the class. I also like this because of the integration of special and 'normal' (what is a normal kid anyway?? NO kid is 'normal'!) children. Cait already has this in her kindy class. No one makes a big deal out of it and thats how things should be. I like how this extends into the primary school as well.

We will miss orientation for sure because of our trip to japan in nov. But the principal says this is usually no biggie especially for kids who are now in Magdalene's Kindy. The girls who are from there usually tend to be the Ms Know-It-Alls because they are familiar with the grounds, with the Sisters and probably already know some of their classmates.

You can tell where this is going right? I do like CCPS. I think it will be right for Cait. But KH and I will have to do some talking first...

4 comments:

Baby-Poppet-Wolfie-Betsy-Babe said...

Nuns for my niece? Not more nuns! Thought you remembered what it was like with the Nuns....

"Guided by God's Eternal Light
We're one in heart and one in mind
Loyal to school and true to light
cuz we are the daughters of Marymount

Oh Marymount...can you remember the rest of the song? I forgot...!!hehehe

Actually - i dun think i have one bad memory of the Nuns - it might be down to selective memory. I have one memory of a girl in your class waving around a red bra and you were always shoo-ing me away coz younger sistahs were NOT COOL! ahahaha

FYI - I am way cool!!! kekeke

Karmeleon said...

So what are the chances of getting in?

Anonymous said...

Hey! I am an ex-CCPS girl!!! And so was my mom! That's why my parents chose it. And no, no one in the family is Cathloic! haha!

So nowadays the principal is not a nun, eh? I had a sister chua as principl. small, fiesty woman with loud voice. and remember a few grumpy nuns :) But great memories of playing zero point in the big open fields at recess.

Serene

Anonymous said...

Parent Volunteers hold Catechism lessons/religious lessons, I believe. I know Tracey does. Email her for more info on the school? ;)