Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Italy is scrapped...

But looks like Hanoi is a go! :-)

Mum now says she can't imagine travelling with me, Trin and luggage. So Italy is out. With the Krisflyer mileage points, KH and I are thinking... hmm, maybe Hanoi? We should be able to get at least 4 tickets.

Couple of days in the Old Quarter (mucho shopping!), train rides up north and into the mountains near Sapa, short treks to waterfalls, villages of the minority tribes, junk rides in Halong Bay, punting in Tam Coc... this trip has a slightly more adventurous feel to it. Can the kids handle it? Am I out of mind to lug 5 kids (including baby Trinity) on this kind of trip? I actually think it is do-able and possibly, the kids might enjoy this.

The alternative is HK - which I know they will automatically love - Disneyland (blah from me) and Ocean Park, rides on the Star Ferries, tramming up to Victoria Peak... inhaling smog the equivalent of 8 cigs a day... hmm... I think HK might be 'easier' in that it is a city - something we are used to. Also lots of clear kid favourites in the theme parks. HK also offers the chance to get off the beaten path - taking ferries to the outlying islands, trains to NT to the old walled villages.

Still, I think travel should provide an alternative experience right? A fresh look at life? Inspirational moments? Challenging our concepts of what is the norm?

let's take a vote here?

No comments: