Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Knives over a second hand car

I have a new toy.

KH gave me a Creative MP3 player for Christmas. So I am now hooked up to my favourite tracks even as I write this.

Anyway, while at the Creative store, I saw a contest they were having and the prize was the CEO's car - as in Sim Wong Hoo's Lexus. I blinked and asked to clarify - is this HIS car or a similar model ie a Lexus, but a new one? They said: it's HIS car. So I'd be winning a second hand car? Yep.

Why would I want to win a second hand car? Why would anyone?

The obvious 'merit' or 'hook' in this promo of course is that its not just any old Lexus, but its HIS car.

But the guy is not some glam bigtime celeb that I would want his car. I mean, if it were... I dunno, who? Madonna or Bill Gates or somebody... maybe... OK scratch that - not even then! KH, ever the practical Singaporean says: still a second-hand car you're winning, so what is the value? With new car prices so low these days, what is a second-hand Lexus worth? Still, maybe a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Fundamentally an interesting concept, but still... don't think it would make people just run out and buy loads of Creative stuff just to enter this contest (which is the whole point of marketing yes?)

Sim Wong Hoo's Lexus aside, my favourite store promo over the past few months has got to be the NTUC Knives exchange! I (well, mom and I!) are busy chalking up (ie spending loads) at NTUC to score coupons so that we can exchange them for knives. Supposedly top grade kitchen knives, we have to exchange about 6 to12 coupons and top up some cash to get the knife we want. I've completed one exchange already and now have one large, Very Sharp and menacing-looking Chef's Knife. I've now got my eye set on the kitchen shears. There are about 4 days left before the promo ends but the shears are out of stock in many places (which just shows how popular and successful this promo is I think) . So I am going around, clutching my 12 coupons, over the next couple of days - in search of shears.

4 comments:

makeupmag said...

I received an ipod Nano from K! :D As for SWH's car, wth was the marketing dept thinking?!?! *rolls eyes*

makeupmag said...

Forgot to add - Global makes one of the BEST knives ever. A friend introduced it to me and I'm grateful! Anthony Bourdain recommends it too :D If you go to Tangs, sometimes they have it at 20% off, on top of the 12% rebate!!!

Momto5 said...

hey make up mag, how much do the knives cost? i am a real scrooge when it comes to stuff like this. prefer to spend money on books - my only vice! (ok, that and bootleg dvds) still, this is precisely why I go round with coupons and why my eyes light up at the knives exchange. today is the last day!!

makeupmag said...

I can't remember offhand but I think $70-100+, iirc. They're super sharp and do last a very long time, so you do get your money's worth (I was so sick of using knives that dulled quickly!). Pat, Tangs is having a 12% rebate on 11 & 12 Jan. You might want to pop by! ;) I might be going to MAC on Friday - want to meet? :) Email/SMS me!