Monday, September 18, 2006

Sweets, anyone?

The MIL came by yesterday and I guess, will be, as usual, staying for a week. Sigh.

I am bracing myself for the usual slew of taiwanese hokkien mandarin-dubbed dramas, the mindless sit-and-do-nothingness, the mournful range of ills and aches she claims to have and worst of all all - the sweets galore.

The kids look forward to her visits as much as I grimace - for the same reason - the sweets. The woman is a walking candy shop to her grandkids. Despite my remonstrations of "Enough sweets already!" or "No sweets before breakfast/lunch/dinner!", I see my kids walking around with fistfuls of dried cuttlefish, chocolate-coated fingers, empty boxes of glico lying on the living room floor and of course, mouthfuls of mentos.

I grit my teeth and bear it but I swear one day I am going to lose it big time.

Case in point: rushing out to work this morning, distracted. Owain whining for 'nen-nen' which I could not give because (a) I'm late (b) nipples sore and oozing already so I am in bloody agony and (c) nipples full of corticosteroid cream to treat the ever-present and worsening eczema. So I am standing there at the door, one shoe on, bag in hand, cooler bag in the other, the boy is tugging at my skirt and the MIL decides to save the day. She swoops down and offers him a stub of Mentos going: "Sweet? Sweet?"

Before breakfast. On a bloody empty stomach. Of course the boy eagerly takes it and the whining ends. MIL is triumphant. I am boiling.

I say nothing but leave. When I grouse to KH, he says: "Not everyday lah." Sure. Just everyday of this week lah. I mutter something under my breath about too much sugar and braincells and then shut up but inside I am thinking: matter of time. Either he says it or I will. And I will not guarantee I will be nice.

Its not just the sweets issue. Its the excessive tv time that sends the tv-is-ok signal to the kids and so on. Maybe I am just very territorial and protective of my space.

I guess I just feel angry and I feel bad about being angry. I feel intruded upon and then I feel bad about feeling intruded upon. I feel sorry for her and I don't hate her. She is a lonely widow, I tell myself and the mother of my husband. But I wish she would seriously get a life. That sounds really mean but it's well-meant.

Looking at her though, I swear though that (1) I will get a life of my own when I am retired (2) take care of myself when I am old instead of expecting my children to do this (3) never live with my kids and (4) never, ever, ever sell my own house - cos that will be MY refuge and my sanctuary. I expect my children will have their own lives and their own families and while we do love each other, I want to be independent. I don't ever want to be a burden or feel a burden to the people I love.

With all the debate about why Singaporeans don't have kids (because kids are expensive they say and because kids don't take care of their old parents anymore) I say, why see children as walking dollar signs? Why see them as a retirement fund? God help us if we have children because we see kids as an insurance policies against our aging needs. If Singaporeans felt this way, lucky the population is on the wane. Because: what sort of people are we to put price tags on children?

This is why I never believe in endowment policies for kids, saving till the cows come home for a university education (which to me has never been the epitome of material success anyway). I think the kids will thank me more if I kept myself healthy, had a good retirement income, had a roof over my head, a good hospitalisation and medical insurance and made a will. And this can only be financially possible if I didn't have to slave just to pay for 5 $100,000 endowment policies.

Read in the Catholic News the other day about a priest's take on filial piety - and I agree 100%. Bring the kids up with love and they will want to take care of you even if they don't have to. No one can force love.

What has all this got to do with the MIL? sigh. My feelings for her are ambivalent. I swing between tolerance and dislike. Ok, to be fair, I probably don't dislike her as a person, but I dislike how she lives. Does that make sense?

Maybe because I see my own mom - the antithesis of the MIL, that I feel this way. My mother is a woman who chooses to work after retirement, she is financially independent, gallivants around town with her girlfriends, takes care of her family, travels freely (and no granny package tours for her thank you very much! She prefers independent backpack travel!), surfs the internet, reads widely... Perhaps it is an unfair comparison of lifestyles but mom has such a joie de vivre which I wish my MIL would have. She would be so much healthier - physically and mentally.

Ah well, blogging about this makes me feel better. So now I can go home with a nice smile and sit down to dinner without feeling angsty.

But first, I will confiscate as many of the sweets as I can find.

2 comments:

makeupmag said...

I am fighting the sweets/Yakult battle with my mil :(

Karmeleon said...

Tim is forever eating sweets, even now. *sigh*. I still rmbr MIL always buying sweets for Tim when she went to the market. So one day I told her not to. The next day, she came back with chocolate, so I said "How come you buy chocolate??". The response was "b/c you said don't buy "sweets", wat!". Duh!