Monday, September 07, 2009

Taking a break from the hospital updates, I just want to say that I was thrilled to find new sources of my favourite gourmet ham and sausages aside from the usual gourmet supermarkets.

Deep in the heart of Jurong factoryland, there are two factories or wholesalers selling imported foodstuff at prices which are about 30 to 40% lower than supermarket prices. In QB Foods, a packet of bratwursts cost $7.50. I found the same packet selling for $11.50 at Cold Storage. Parma ham, one of my favourite indulgences, was going at $7.50 for 100gms. In Cold Storage, this was going for $9.43 per 100gms. So needless to say, I bought loads of sausages - cheese sausages, brats, gourmet organic sausages, hashbrowns, french fries, chicken nuggets - yummy!

Across the road, there is another wholesaler/factory that sells ham and sausages at low prices. My porridge brains desert me now and I can't remember the name of the place. But its directly opposite QB Foods. From the outside, it does not look like much and in fact, you would not know that you could buy direct from them. But on a hunch, I approached some workers and they told me to go up to the office. They have a list of stuff you can choose from.

So I bought a 550gm slab of champagne pate at $9.50 or something like that. In Cold Storage, the same pate was going for $4.60 or so per 100gms. I also bought sliced shoulder ham, 500gms for $5.00 and cocktail cheese sausages and shaved champagne ham. All for prices lower than the supermarket's.

I'm sure there are more of these factory outlets retailing food at lower, wholesale prices in the vicinity. I tried asking at the Meiji factory but was turned away at the gate by guards. We'll probably have to cruise the area and check it out one by one, grow a thick skin and ask at security posts if they "sell anything"!

1 comment:

mummyof3 said...

QB sells cheeses too, i'm told.