Thursday, September 27, 2007

Retirement moolah

With all the recent noise about retirement funds etc and the fear that our CPF would run dry, I decided to see how poorly off I would be at the age of 60 and whether I would have enough moolah to last till I am 80. So I used the CPF calculator - pretty detailed - it included mortgage payments, projected expenditure (down to haircuts and facials!!), savings and investments etc.

You're basically supposed to fill in the blanks - to the best of your knowledge but try not to cheat - and the programme will do the rest. So I did - put in everything, down to my $74 Shunji Matsuo haircuts. And ta-dah! I can afford to have monthly payouts of $800 from the age of 60 to the age of 80 - with a surplus of $200k + too! Woohoo!

That answers my question about whether I would have mad money to spend or not when I'm older, freer and crazier.

And this is a conservative estimate because it assumes that I am working half-time on this sort of salary until retirement at 60 (with yearly increments of 3%), it assumes that I alone will be paying off a mortgage of $384,000 on my home (which I am not!), it does NOT include property asset value (heh, like my house!)and it assumes NO other investment plan etc, just good ol-fashioned savings accounts, saving conservatively at $300 a month with an interest rate of 1%.

So all things considered, not bad at all. I think one can live - frugally - on $800 a month. As mom observed a tad wistfully - when you reach that age, you don't really think of enjoying expensive steaks anymore (bo geh - no teeth!) so you settle for porridge. I think that's the way it will be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat, $800 may not be enough leh ! How to travel the world like the way your mom is doing now with measly $800 per month ;-) ?

Momto5 said...

Thats on the conservative side. If you look at the calculation, I think I should still have 200K more in the kitty or something like that? Plus they didn't factor in asset value. Certainly by then, we would sell once all the kids are out and move to a much smaller place, so the money will go to retirement kitty lah.

Cory said...

don't forget to factor things in like medical emergencies and rate of inflation. $800 may seem like a lot now but what can it buy in the future, i wonder?

scary to think about it.

Anonymous said...

i'm with corinne on this one, fine if we are well and hearty but when the body starts to break down.. the bills are something shocking.

barbs