Friday, May 04, 2007

Expert level 34

Owain is now playing the Adult version of Rush Hour. He is now at Expert level card 34.

When he first started playing, it was more for fun - the kids challenge each other. And its a good way to keep them quiet and occupied while I get to do my thing. But he has left Caitlin in the dust. She's still stuck at Intermediate level 17. She gets bored and distracted fast. He doesn't. She gives up easier than he does. He will, whenever I suggest moves or try to move the car pieces, gently move my hand aside or say patiently: I don't need help mum.

Everytime I am at the PC working, seated or sprawled on the floor beside me would be Owain and the clickety-clack of the car pieces moving. At regular intervals, I would hear: OK mummy I got the red car out for you. Can I do one more?

Expert level, I have to own, is no joke. I tried this myself and I don't think I went beyond Advance - got stuck and gave up. Last night, we tried Level 33. I fiddled with it but gave up after a while and left the game aside. Next thing I knew, Owain had piped up excitedly: OK mum, I got it out! I got the red car out!

I tried to slow him down, believing that Advanced and Expert were too hard. So we started again from level 1. But he finished each setpiece within minutes and I realised that they were not challenging enough for him anymore. So we went back to Advanced and kept on at it until here we are today at Expert level 34.

Looking back, I don't know why I tried to slow him down. Did I think he was incapable of managing? Did I secretly hope he could do it, wanted him to do it but feared he could not and hence dash my hopes? His progress, for a 3yo, is amazing. If you could only see the intense concentration on his face, watch his pudgy little hands move the colourful cars... I don't know what I am afraid of. I am proud of him, but I also do not want to overload him or stress him out. There is a fine line between what a parent wants and what a child wants. Do I want him to excel, push him onward or does he? I am angsting about this and rather incoherently too - but the gist is, I just don't want him to do what he does not want to do, beyond what he is capable of. But thus far, he seems hooked and so why hold him back right?

Just recently KH and I had a brief exchange about Isaac. Isaac had signed up for the Maths Olympiad competition. He came home excited one day and said that his teacher, who called his class 'the Maths class' told them that getting past ruond 1 in the Olympiad would earn them a cert. But, he said eyes gleaming, getting to the next stage would guarantee, quoting his teacher "a one-way ticket to NUS High" - apparently regardless of PSLE aggregate.

Now he knows, more than anyone, how he stands re his grades and PSLE prospects. His Chinese grades, so spectacularly bad, will pull his aggregate down faster than the Titanic. So he knows that his chance of getting to SJI or any good school for that matter, are very slim unless (1) he bucks up on Chinese - and that means a monumental leap or (2) he gets A* grades for his other subjects. So this Maths Olympiad thing is like a way out for him - and hence his enthusiasm.

I encouraged him to sign up for the Olympiad. I thought he enjoyed maths. I felt that the experience would be useful - pushing the envelope mentally so to speak. And the boy always has had a competitive streak in him.

I don't know how true it is about the NUS High thing. But KH said, even if he can get in, I don't want him to go to NUS High.

Why not? I argued. I think if he could get in, that's a good place to be.

KH replied: Too stressful. And everything is about Maths, Maths Maths - so boring!

My dad, who sitting within earshot agreed - ya, must be all-rounder - cannot be just maths alone lah.

It made me think again - are we limiting him? Self-censoring his abilities? Our dreams or his?

Anyway moot point. KH privately thinks he cannot make it past round 1 anyway. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

wow, your son impresses me! A 3 years old can do expert level? He is really good!
i have the safari game which is also produced by the same co. that came out with rush hour. Not sure whether they are exactly the same but the concept is the same. anyway, i bought that for my ds1 when he was in pri2. When my ds2 wanted to play with it, i would say, "no, that is too difficult for you, why don't u go play your other puzzles?" and he is already 6 this year! U know what, after reading your post, i have decided not to stop him in future. even if he can't solve it, so be it. The impt thing is at least he gets a chance to try.

Karmeleon said...

Dunno about the Math Olympiad thing, but NUS High is not just Math. It's Science too. If Isaac is in Pri 5 now, then the selections for NUS High begins in March/April next year.

The only thing that scares me about NUS High is that they mostly do work a few years ahead of their level. Many are doing University level math & science even at like 14 or 15. Read that in a ST feature just a few months back.