Monday, April 30, 2007

Food at Riang 1

Mum called. I'm bringing over the sambal prawns you asked me to cook, she says. And do you want some chili sotong too?

Yes mum yes. How can I ever say no to your sambal prawns?? And because the phone at home is out of order (long story which had something to do with a short circuit, a blackout - yes again - and very wet walls thanks to the rainy spell) , please could you tell Lolita to not cook the chicken porridge for dinner.

Sambal prawns for dinner tonight - fiery red sauce with the scent of the kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass, tiny prawns, hardboiled eggs. With plain white rice, an unbeatable combination. Pure comfort food.

Last week on Wednesday evening when I had finished puking (thanks to a combination of bad SBS drivers, TV Mobile and drivers who hog bus lanes!) at mum's house (I didn't think I could make it home without throwing up so I did the next best thing- head for mum's place to throw up instead!), mum offered me some leftover sambal prawn and rice. And boy did that hit the spot. The zing in the sambal made me feel better almost immediately. I had second helpings. Not bad after puking my guts out.

Also looking forward to mum's chili sotong!! Her sotong is very simply done - no elaborate recipe - just fry with ground chili. Add a touch of salt and a smidgen of sugar. Magnificent in its simplicity. You taste the sea and the spice and I would imagine that not so long ago, this would have been how kampung folk ate - slivers of squid cooked simply and eated in the salty sea breeze.

Tomorrow, KH will be home. To celebrate, we will have popiah. (Helen in Australia, if you are reading this, this is DIY springrolls and if you ever get over here, I'd be happy to throw a popiah party in your honour!) I've bought all the ingredients. All that remains is to ask the likely jet-lagged KH to drive to Joo Chiat to buy the popiah skin and we're set for a yummy feast!

Ooh I can't wait.

But first, sambal prawns and chili sotong calls lovingly out to me for dinner tonight!

No comments: