Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Single mom for a week

As I write, KH is now having a nice brekkie 50,000ft in the air, in his comfy business class seat somewhere over Europe. Grrr....

And I? I will be single mom for a week.

He's off to a week in The Hague, Netherlands for business. But because the meetings spill over to next week, he's got a weekend free. He's been whining to me about not knowing where to go, that its so cold... blah blah blah. Ingrate. Gimme a week free of kids, travel on business class, a weekend in Amsterdam and you wouldn't find me bloody complaining!

But on the other hand, it's not so bad being the single parent for a while. For one thing, I get to have the whole bed to myself! Well, ok, shared with Owain and Trin of course, but still with more space and no sensurround snoring! Then I get to watch cheesy shows like American Idol all I like without being accused of being a TV-holic! I can cook and eat hot spicy dishes without worrying about whether His Highness likes it or not! My bath towel will be left unmolested in the morning for once!

On the down side, I now have to wake up early with the big kids, give them their allowance, chase them to finish breakfast, comb hair, put on socks/shoes etc. And since my personal chauffeur has jetted off, I also now have to go to and from work on my own - walking out to catch a bus, waiting super-long for the wretched bus number 58, changing buses etc. Thank God for my MP3 player.

The hardest bit comes on Sat when I have to transport the kids to all their classes - Kumon at Goldhill (11am), ballet at Toa Payoh Safra at 1.45pm, catechism in church at 2pm, swimming at Serangoon at 4pm. And because it's the whole morning and afternoon, I've got to bring Trin along (milk) and since I'm bringing Trin along, Owain will surely want to come along. So I'm going to be on the move with 5 kids on my hands and no car!! Argh...

I am spoilt. I know it. Moral of the story - learn to drive. Then the car won't be sitting in the sun collecting bird poo and smashed fruits.

What does this tell you? I miss the man only because of transport issues??

1 comment:

Karmeleon said...

yup - learn to drive. Even so, it's not fun not being able to share the duties.

Hope you get well soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!