Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I walk to the lift and I hear someone walking so close to me that he or it is practically on my heels. There is a snuffling breathing. I am afraid to turn my head and wonder if I am being paranoid - this being the seventh month and all.

As I walk, I am sure I sense someone walking behind me. The footfalls seem to mirror mine. But I still don't turn back - why? Because you know what they say: in the seventh month, never, whatever you do, never ever turn back when you sense something or someone following you. Or calling your name.

So I don't. I keep walking though the hair at the back of my neck is standing.

At the lift lobby, something red flashes by me and I give a jerk back in fear. Turns out to be a guy wearing a red sweatshirt. He was behind me the whole time. OK, I almost never talk to students - never really had to interact with them since I am not a lecturer. But now, in my relief I wag a finger and tell him: You gave me a fright! Don't you know never to sneak up on a pregnant woman? And never, ever in the seventh month!

He looks at my big belly and says, not comprehending: I'm sorry, I didn't know you were seven months pregnant.

I go: I am, but that is besides the point. Don't you know anything about the seventh month??

The boy shakes his head - poor guy, don't they teach them these juicy fun bits in school anymore??

I end up giving him a mini-lecture on chinese culture and the seventh month. All the way down to the first floor. He forgot to get off at 3rd. ;-)

Thanks Kelvin Tong, for those scary trailers on The Maid. Yep, I can sure sleep easy now.

And no problem, it will just take my chicken-hearted 9-year-old son maybe a couple more weeks before he can watch your trailer without his fingers covering his eyes.

No comments: