Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My dad is a real survivor. I think he will really make it to his 88 years as he wanted!


Once again, as it was 2 years ago, he has made it against the odds. After more than three months in hospital, he finally made it home. He made it through stints in the High Dependency, in the ICU, the episodes of near renal failure, the "messy op" (doc's words, not mine), the many side trips into complication-territory and so on... its amazing but he's done it. Came out in one piece minus his gall bladder and came home with still one drain left but he's still done it. To be honest, there were moments when I doubted he could make it, but he did!

Best of all, his personality seems to have undergone a bit of a change. Early days yet but I hope I'm right. I see a softer side, more interest in the family, a readiness to engage us. Case in point - he's actually joining us for Christmas Eve dinner, which he has not done for many years. I'm very happy about all this.

A big thank you to everyone for your well wishes, your prayers and your thoughts. I don't think dad would have pulled through without all the silent and unseen prayer warriors here.

A bigger, heartfelt thank you to my mum - the unsung hero in all this. I know he certainly would not have made it if not for her and her untiring efforts to keep him comfortable, get him the best possible care and so on. I hope he realises what a wonderful wife he has! And me, always thankful to have a mum like her.

What a year 2009 has been! Its come and gone so fast. In just a couple of days the kids will be back at school, a new cycle would have started and we've zoomed off to another year. But if I've learned anything this year, more than ever, its not to take for granted the big and little things that God has given you. Big would be health, our jobs, our homes, family, friends, stability, security but small would be the little unseen gems that pass unnoticed when we slip from one day to the next - a quiet hour with a book, breakfast in a park, my Korean dramas, Trin dancing when she's in a good mood, kids laughing at the dinner table, a nice afternoon's chat with friends and so on.

I'm greedy so I hope God will send more gems my way next year. But I also pray to remember the lessons learned this year - not to take anything for granted - you really never know what can happen, and to be strong enough to accept things and move on if or when the bad stuff really happens.

So a Blessed, Merry Christmas to everyone! May you be blessed with robust health and an unending stream of happiness for the coming year!

4 comments:

Santhi said...

Thank you, Pat! And I am very very happy to hear of your father's health. Yes, his being at xmas eve dinner is a great start to the festive weekend! Have a blessed Xmas with your family and a gemful year ahead! ;D

Rita said...

Merry Christmas to your family, Pat !!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patricia,
Very glad to hear that your dad is fine.
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

starlight

Cory said...

A very warm, joyous &
☆。★。☆。★
。☆。*。☆ *
★。\|/。★
* MERRY * * CHRISTMAS *
★。/|\。★
。☆。*。☆。
*。★。*
May the peace, joy & love of this Christmas fill your heart!