Friday, January 04, 2008

Tantrum update 2

Had a bad one last night. She screamed because I refused to give her a chocolated coated cookie finger from the fridge at 11pm!

So KH brought her up to the room - still yowling away - and put her on the floor. Then KH and I got into bed, switched on our bedside lights and continued to read. Meanwhile Trin is still screaming her head off, drumming her heels on the floor.

I have to say that I now feel a bit bad for not feeling bad last night. Maybe I am getting to be a bit immune to all the hysterics - which is bad right? I have read that controlled crying has this effect on parents who practise it - the growing immunity and decreased sensitivity to the cries. I tell myself that the difference is this one is 26months old and no longer a vulnerable newborn!

After a while, she stood up, still screaming and crying and looked at us on the bed. She held her arms out and cried: Me, me, me!

I sat there and opened my arms and waited. She came over, climbed up and I pulled her onto my lap and we nursed. Now all peace and quiet, just some hiccupy sobs once in a while. Then we lay down together, nursed in bed and drifted off to sleep.

Maybe this is the way to go?

No comments: