Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Everything that could go wrong, can and has!

First it was dad and now, my grandma. I just got news that she 'fell' and her leg broke. This is an 84-year-old woman who has been more or less wheel-chair bound for the past two years or so. Her right leg has been bent at a very awkward angle and she has been unable to walk, hence she was in a wheelchair for some time.

I just got word that her bad leg sort of gave way under her as she was moving from the wheelchair to I-dunno-where (bed? bathroom? the details are not clear at this point) and she collapsed into an awkward squat. But because her bones are so brittle at her age, they are now worried that her hips and ribs may also have been fractured in the process. Cardiac arrest is a real risk when this sort of thing happens to someone her age.

Poor po-po.

She brought me up since I was a baby. She's been one feisty dragon lady but she has mellowed over the past year or so. I'm going to hospital to see her now. She's probably still in the A&E. This is SGH and grimly convenient since dad is also still warded in the high dependency cardiac ward there.

Why do these things happen all at one go?

I feel so sorry for my mum. She's had a hard two weeks or so - with dad's hospitalisation, emergency surgery. She's been literally living at the hospital with him, leaving him only to go home for change of clothes and some 'rest' (my bro says she could not rest well at home, always fretting and anxious to go back to the hospital). First dad, now po-po, her mother. I can't imagine the stress mum is going through right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pat,

All our prayers with your family at this difficult time. Take care !