Monday, August 27, 2007

"Stay calm in a crisis!"

Wise words from a son who missed the bus, got lost, walked the better part of 5km home, got hugged by a stranger and yes, who stayed calm through it all.

Isaac, so tired after CCAs, took the bus home (bus number 153) and fell asleep. He missed the stop, (which was supposed to be just after the CTE, at Braddell Heights) and went all the way to the fringes of Hougang (just after the Tampines Road/Kovan junction) before he woke up and realised what had happened. He dropped off at the bus-stop near those food stalls that sold durians and the famous Ponggol Nasi Lemak. So it was quite a distance to walk!

The boy got off the bus, but didn't have a phone (long story here) and all polite requests to strangers to use their phones were refused. I'm pretty indignant here because we've taught him to ask nicely on the belief that most would help a lost, young boy, well at least I would, but looks like my faith in Singaporeans are a bit misplaced.

So since he could not call, he decided to walk home. Luckily he had been paying attention everytime we drove to Aunty Rita's house. He recognised the Tampines Road junction and trudged on. It was a straight road down to all the way to Serangoon Central and there was nothing for it but to walk. Down he went, past Kovan, past the Helping Hand, past the OCBC Bank, past the famous 711 durian stall and on.

Somewhere near the Boundary Road junction, a man pounced on him and grabbed from the back in a shoulder-lock and mumbled something in dialect. Now I would have just screamed my lungs out. Or struggled or kicked hard where it matters. But my son just said politely, in his inimitable way, remaining still, "Er excuse me. Could you please let go of me?" He said he had to repeat it a few times before the man decided to let him go. Clearly, he told me, that man was not quite right in the head, but gut feel said he didn't mean any harm.

I was horrified. Yes the man should be in a mental hospital for grabbing young boys on the street. But I was also impressed by the boy's calm. When I asked him why he didn't shout for help, he said, "What's the point of screaming and shouting? Better to remain calm in a crisis!" This from a boy who always hems and haws whenever we ask him to ask for extra ketchup at the McDonalds counter!

Finally, the man let him go. Once released, off he went again, past Serangoon Central, past Serangoon MRT, under my mom's apartment block. It never occured to him to stop and ask Mama or Grandad for help - he said he was so near already he might as well just continue walking home. So he did. Tired and sweaty after walking so far. Quite an adventure.

I'm just so glad he made it. In one piece!

5 comments:

Karmeleon said...

the man grabbing bit is SCARY!!!

But the walking home...it can happen at least once in a child's lifetime, I'd think. *hehe*.

Busfare was 15cents last time, but I only had 10cents, so I walked home from near Potong Pasir to Ang Mo Kio Central. No CTE then (whew!). I was older than Isaac though!!! 15yrs then.

And I've fallen asleep so many times in the bus. Thankfully, mine was the last stop (AMK Central interchange). It's just embarrassing to have men or fellow studnets wake up you when the bus stops to nudge you to get off. *HAHA*.

Momto5 said...

Yes the man-grabbing bit is scary. Must be some insane man to do this. I don't think the fellow meant to molest or do anything, but it was scary nonetheless.

Re walking home, yes I think you're right. For me, it was out of choice. I walked home often from Marymount back to Toa Payoh. And the furtherest was from ACS at Barker Road back to Toa Payoh. Just felt like walking.

Anonymous said...

Brave boy! Well done, Isaac!

yes, the man grabbing bit was scary but it brought back to my mind the time a couple of youths on a motorbike tried to mug my classmate n me while we were walking home from tuition class (we were 15yo i think). it was classic road side mugging. the motorbike sped past us, then suddenly stopped and the pillion hopped off n ran back to us, pointed a knife at us and asked us for money. i just coolly said, are you crazy?! no money lah! in hokkien, some more, something like "lu siao ah?! bo lui lah!" cos it was true, we had no money, we were just a few streets from home n we didn't need to carry money. then he looked at us both up n down then jumped back onto the bike n sped off. it didn't occur to us we cld have been hurt until much much later. but i doubt the guy wld have tried something, we were surrounded by houses after all.

but yes, taking the long way home from school, i've done that before too. : )

Joanna Peck said...

wow! that's a rather impressive hike... not walk. He's really resourceful and brave. You should be very proud of him!

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: (urgentloan22@gmail.com)