Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Selling?

We have been inundated with fliers from real estate agents who dangle eye-popping prices of houses they have sold in our neighbourhood. Usually, the fliers end up in the trash.

But recently, we learnt that our immediate neighbour, Uncle Chan, has sold his house. For slightly over a million. His house is the same size as ours, also a corner terrace, but in original condition. Well-kept but original in its 40-year-old look. KH figures that our house can probably fetch a higher price considering that it has been 'renovated'.

Well, I don't want to sell. I'm not ready to think about selling now - especially now that the roof is no longer leaking!

I'm very happy with my little 'yellow' (now vanilla) house. Yeah, with 5 kids the space might be a little tight, but it is still cozy and comfortable. The kids too, enjoy the house. They love that they get a bit of a garden to run around in, they have made many firm friends among the neighbourhood kids. I like it also because Mum lives so nearby (we love popping in and out of each other's houses and sending/bringing food over). I also like the location very much - centrally located but quiet, Toa Payoh and Bishan just a couple of bus-stops away, 20min from the MRT, CTE/PIE around the corner. I've settled in here so well.

Just the thought of selling my little house makes me sad. Can't imagine if or when we actually sell and have to move! Think I'll howl...

But I also acknowledge that if the market keeps rising, then it makes good financial sense to sell at a good price, move to a HDB flat (which is affordable), stay liquid or invest the rest of the money wisely for 'retirement'. This is what we've always said we wanted to do when we got the house at such a good price 9 years ago. Back then I did make a mental note to not get too attached to the place because I knew this would happen someday. But the market stayed down for a long time and selling was not a good option. Along the way, the house became not just an investment cow waiting to be fattened and slaughtered, but a real home we loved.

I've brought three babies back to this house. Celebrated countless birthdays. Seen my babies toddle around the place. Some day, it would be nice to have wedding tea ceremonies here. The very thought of selling seems like a betrayal of this dear little house!

So when KH mentions the idea of selling these days, I say a quick 'no'. But I don't know how long we, or he, can wait. If the market keeps going up, it looks like it will be a 'sooner', rather than a 'never'.

3 comments:

Cory said...

hey dear, just give it a try and see what kind of prices you can fetch. if that run down house next to yours can sell for a million, what more yours?
BUT
one thing you and KH need to remember - for the money that you get, what kind of house can you buy? in a good market, you sell for a profit, but you buy high, too.
just my 2cents la :)

Anonymous said...

hi pat
i feel the same way about my little 5-rm HDB flat as you feel abt yours. we got cold calls recently too, offering at $550-600k. seems like a lot but i know that we can't buy anything else for that amount of money in the area that's half as nice. plus, n this is the biggest point, i'm not moving till my dd gets into FMPS down the road next year. n once she starts school why wld we want to move to a less convenient, more expensive place? BUT coming back from m'sia over the weekend i'm suffering from my usual house-lust/craving. oh for something more than 1200sqft, for a tiny patch of garden, for a staircase n maybe space for 3 bedrooms n a little tiny family area or study n a nice sized kitchen! sigh! my humble flat felt really tiny after i had lived in my bro's n then my parents' place for the week. my dh said, a maisonette might be nice .... that might be an acceptable compromise that will appease the cravings.

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: (urgentloan22@gmail.com)