Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Japan akan datang


The more I read about Japan the more excited I get. I am looking forward to everything - the neon of Shinjuku, the temples of Kyoto, Disneyland, the food, the ryokan experience...


At the same time, I am apprehensive about how the kids are going to experience Japan. And I dare not think of the cost involved in bringing the brood there! While we are already saving $$ by going on some frequent flier points, there is still a lot to cover. I think Japan, for the solo or even the couple traveller, will not be expensive. But bringing a brood over can add up very quickly. For example the Japan Rail Pass is already 28,300yen per adult (and yes, Gillian is counted as an adult!) so that makes it about S$360 each. Kids below 6 go free. Kids 6 to 12 are half price. So I will have to spend about $1500 just on the Rail Pass alone. Of course if we don't go to Kyoto, things might be significantly cheaper since we won't need the rail pass then. But everyone I've asked say must go to Kyoto. My Japanophile colleagues, those who live/work there, all say that Kyoto is not to be missed. And if I am going there for koyo, then Kyoto is the best place to see autumn in her glory.


I think we intend to stay in hostels for the most part, with perhaps a ryokan experience in Hakone. So we will all be in ONE room sleeping on tatami mats! KH sniffed at this since he had this experience in Kobe already many years ago, but I think its fun and a whole different experience from the usual hotels. I am also looking forward to the baths - hee!

I think food need not be a problem - kaiten sushi (conveyor belt sushi!), ramen shops, bento boxes in convenient stores and department stores (at closing time!) and okonomiyaki restaurants all mean food that is not expensive. The kids are already being exposed and trying different types of Japanese food so it won't be a culture shock.


I think I am more worried about meltdowns caused by tiredness - and travelling in Japan means lots of walking. Maybe its a good idea to 'train' up the kids by letting them carry backpacks individually for long walks around the neighbourhood now. Inevitably though, I'm sure we will have the odd meltdown or two. I will also get my colleague to write simple name tags in Japanese that say: "my name is so-and-so. I'm lost! Please call my daddy at xxxxxxx." Each kid will get one. And yes, must buy new socks! There will be plenty of times when we will need to take our shoes off and let me say that I don't want to embarrass myself by showing off lots of hole-y socks!


We will have about 9 days in Japan. I am still split about whether to head for Kyoto or stay put in Tokyo but visit the outlying countryside eg Kamakura, Nikko, Hakone etc. The SIL also poured cold water on the period that we are visiting, saying that all the autumn leaves have fallen, it will be wet and cold (and altogether miserable!). I have asked this question online in Japanese forums and so far the information I have is reassuring - the second half of Nov is the best time for koyo in Kyoto and in Tokyo! So hopefully they will be right and she's wrong! Yes it will be cold and wet but I would not expect otherwise.

Tentatively the itinerary is this:

Day 1 Fly to Tokyo. KH and his team will arrive about 5hours before me. So they will head in to the hostel first. By the time I reach the hostel with the girls it should be around 7.30pm already!

Day 2 Sensoji Temple in Asakusa, then take ferry down the Sumida-gawa to Odaiba. Visit the Miraikan (the Museum of Emerging Sciences and Innovation), the ferris wheel at Palette Town etc. A mix of old and new. Then take the 'monorail' back to the Yamamote line and back to the hostel.

Day 3 Disneyland!

Day 4 DisneySea!

Day 5 Hop on shinkansen to Kyoto bright and early. Spend day walking around the old Higashiyama district. If kids not too tired, we could walk the north-eastern end of Kyoto, the Philosopher's Path and the Kinkakuji Temple.

Day 6 Maybe take the train down to Osaka, to the aquarium and/or Universal Studios.

Day 7 Leave Kyoto for either the Hakone circuit. Which means staying overnight in the ryokan in the Hakone area, or straight back to Tokyo.

Day 8 If we returned to Tokyo last night, then we would visit the Ghibli Museum today. We could also return to Tokyo this morning, stuff the backpacks into the left luggage lockers and then head for Ghibli if kids not too shacked. Actually I think I would be more shacked!

Day 9 Morning at Meiji-jingu shrine, Harajuku and Omotesando people-watching and shopping. Afternoon to the airport for our flight back.

Day 10 Arrive SG early hours of the morning.

The non-Kyoto alternative would mean we go to Kamakura for a day and Hakone for two days.

By Aug I have to start making reservations for the hostel, the rail pass, the Ghibli museum tickets etc. I'm SO excited! Now must save more money, and sell 'excitement' to the family particularly KH who is dragging his feet. I will post a travel blog on Japan when its all over.

No comments: