Thursday, June 07, 2007

Early morning smiles

This morning, something happened in bed that reminded me why I enjoyed sleeping with my babies in the same bed.

Baby Trinity woke up, turned towards me. Our faces inches apart, her eyes opened and she gave me a big smile. A grin of pure joy - like she was so happy to find me there next to her in the morning. Why? It surely would not be a surprise to her to find me next to her right? We were together every night. Surely she would be used to me being there, take my presence for granted already? But no, that smile was one of sheer delight. Seeing a baby wake up and smile like that makes me wonder why we all can't wake up and view the day ahead with equal delight and optimism.

My daughter has such a beautiful smile that lights up every corner of her face. There is no hesitancy, no shyness in her smile. It is a smile that gives it all. The outer corners of her eyes crinkle sleepily upwards, all her teeth can be seen - tiny white buds - I can see two tiny white smudges against her pink gums (she is teething again). Her hair, thin and sparse, are lit bronze in the morning light. And yes, she has that whiff of sleepy baby smell.

Mornings like this remind me why it's worthwhile. Worth all the kicking, squeezing, knee in the back, hogging of covers and occasional sprained neck.

Poor parents who put their kids in cots in another room. They don't know what moments of pure joy they can be missing.

1 comment:

Baby-Poppet-Wolfie-Betsy-Babe said...

my dear sistah...everytime i read your blog i can just imagine being there and seeing it happen.

this particular one makes me happy...A great end to a shitty day!

We luv u!!
Baby