Monday, May 07, 2007

Done!

Finally finished the last of the observations and will be sending them off to Aus tomorrow! Yay!! The last paper was a 12-pg whopper on prenatal class analysis. The last hurdle was a 2000-word essay on the following:

It has been argued that contemporary Childbirth Education meets the needs of middle-classed, heterosexual, well-educated couples, but is less proficient in meeting the needs of clients with socio-cultural backgrounds different to the mainstream. Choose one of the following, and working within your professional boundaries, describe how you would seek to ensure their socio-cultural needs would be met in the classes you teach. A client who is:

From a non-English speaking background
Lesbian
Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander
Physically disabled
An adult survivor of child sexual assault
Adolescent
Socio-economically disadvantaged
A survivor of female genital mutilation
Not in a committed relationship
Intellectually impaired
Religious background different from Christian/Judaism eg Moslem
A victim of domestic violence

Can cry right??

I picked socio-economically disadvantaged. It was this or adolescent pregnancy - which would not have been that difficult too. But how to write on stuff like "survivor of female genital mutilation"?!! So 2,163 words later, I am DONE!

Then I had to do a class profile for this group that I selected, including needs analysis etc. Crack head. Bang head against wall. But I got it done. Amazingly, as I hammered out the needs analysis for this proposed client group, I found myself thinking that it can actually be done - there just might be a market for this group of people. The cost has to be kept very very low of course but it just might be possible! So I am toying with the idea of linking up with some external organisations and just seeing where this might take me.

Don't know if I will pass or fail but I am just so glad to be DONE!! Yippee!! Hopefully that will be the last word I'll ever have to write for this Grad Dip. Its been fun, its been exciting. Yes, its been challenging. My coursemates say this has been harder than a Masters programme. I dunno about that but much as I love birth education, I am so mentally exhausted.

Well, I haven't crossed the tape yet until I get my Grad Dip paper in my hands. And I just might fail these last few hurdles. So I am not counting my chickens yet. For now, just damn thankful that I at least finished the rounds.

And now... for my website...

No comments: