Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Dinner overseas

Nice balmy Sunday evening. KH took a break from his work at home and we headed out to Changi for a walk on the Changi boardwalk. I had wanted to walk the newest section for some time but we never found the time to go until now.

The walk brought back memories. The huge rock sitting in the water is still there - where an old friend called Jonathan once perched on to strum his guitar under moonlight. My 18th birthday at the Changi chalet, past midnight and a group of us had gone down to the rocky stretch just beyond the big bungalow on the shorefront where Devan Nair had gone to 'recuperate'. Nothing romantic going on but there was a certain romance about the atmosphere. Good times with good friends. And all the unspoken angst of teenhood.

I had gone back to that spot - Christmas Day 1986. I was alone. I spent the whole day there, just sitting under a frangipani tree on a grassy bank right in front of the big rock. Just listened to music and reflected. About everything. Life, exams, uni ahead (or so I thought!), relationships. I had just finished my A levels and did not know what would come next. But I knew it was the end of an idyllic time in my life. Somehow I just knew that that part of my life was over. I left the spot feeling stronger emotionally but very much sunburned!

Looking at it now, I thought the rock was bigger. Somehow everything in memory always seems larger than life.

I showed the kids the bungalow where govt leaders spent their time. Like us, they sometimes booked chalets too and this large house would be reserved for the top. We were not allowed to go up - it was clearly signposted so. Which reminded me of that same night when the group of us had tried to take a shortcut to the rocks only to be met by the caretaker who sternly shooed us off the grounds.

After our walk, we took a bumboat to Ubin. And were immediately transported to a kampong in rural Malaysia! The brown strays, the wooden houses, slatted windows, dirt tracks, hum of cicadas. Ended up having seafood dinner in one of the restaurants fronting the water. Out of all we ordered, the chilli crab was the best - sweet succulent meat that did not crumble away spelt fresh crabs! Owain loved the sambal mussels but I didn't think they were that great.

Maybe the next time we come back we'll go to Chek Jawa. Maybe Ron could guide us!

No comments: