Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Top 10 most commonly used lines in Riangland

By my children. Not in any order of merit:

1) "Orhhhhh, I'll tell mummy!" (and mind you, its always mummy - never daddy. These days I deflect this by saying: uh-huh... now go tell daddy!)

2) "It's NOT fair!" interchanges with "How come she/he ALWAYS gets to...??"

3) "Can I watch TV?"

4) "Can I have nen-nen?? Please, mummy, please... Only a lil bit, only a short while, I promise!!!"

5) "You ALWAYS..." and "You NEVER..."

6) "Can we go to the playground??"

7) "Can I go pee?" or "I need to pee." All watery and solid waste bodily functions are routinely announced by all the children except Gillian. Even at the dinner table. Yes, I know... this is gross.


8) "Can you read this book to me?" A child will hold up said book. But because there are so many of them, sometimes they do the bait and switch. As soon as we finish one, they'd whip out another and another child will use this same line. In any one night, we can read up to 2 to 3 books per child. This of course, excludes Gillian, Isaac and baby Trin. Gillian does not like reading and tries to avoid books like vampires avoid garlic. Isaac reads by himself (thank God!!). Baby Trinity does not care what is read as long as she gets to eat the book. For parents with a large brood, take a hint: master the art of summary - it will help you get your life back.

9) "But WHY???" or "Why NOT???" or "Do we have to...??"

10) "Mu-ummy, XXX (fill in name of child) kicked/hit/punched/sat on/pushed/pinched/spat on/wrestled with YYY and now YYY is crying! Can you scold him/her please?" Usually its the girls who do the reporting - unless they are the ones involved in the action. But occasionally, I'd get this from Owain, usually accusing his gor-gor of some heinous crime.

No comments: