Monday, February 05, 2007

Mothers who sling... wrongly!

Some weeks ago, ST Urban did a story on baby carriers, with slings (MIM slings!) taking a nice big picture. I thought it was high time someone did a story like that. However, I also felt that they did not do justice to the story. For instance, there was hardly any mention of how slinging mimics the womb environment - so important for baby's early adjustment to the world, and something that no other baby carrier can do!

Also, there are so many slings and pouches available now with so many different types of fabrics and styles. It could and should become not only a baby carrier but a fashion statement for fashionista moms. But the article did not address this - disappointing for a lifestyle newspaper like Urban.

I'm not a fashionista mom, but at last count, I own seven slings (lost one due to carelessness!), one pouch and one wrap. KH always gives me a warning glare everytime I coo about nice slings.

I am a sling convert. My sling journey mirrors my breastfeeding journey. It started with Caitlin and for her, she only used the sling when she was 5 months old and could sit upright in the sling because I was too scared to use the sling when she was a newborn. By the time Owain came along, he was slung from day 1. And as for Trin, she was slung and pouched (thanks to Lulu!) all the way to Australia barely 3 weeks old when I went there for the birth workshops.

If only the ST Urban reporter could have done a more indepth story on the different types of slings there are in the market - showing the sling as a fashion item! I love the slings for their convenience and their colours and fabrics.

The MIM these days is moving onto very very nice prints - still drooling for the new lightweight cotton print ones! The Maya and the Ella Roo wraps/pouches come in very lovely colours and prints. Sadly my Ella Roo is still unused because I am not confident in wrapping and re-wrapping the long cloth in public. I must do this at least once though, before Trin or Owain gets too big. Maybe the Japan trip is a good time to try - but with multiple rehearsals first!

Someone asked if I will be bringing a stroller to Japan - not likely!! If you think I am going to lug a stroller up and down the Japanese rail and subway system, you can think again! Give me a sling anyday and I can go anywhere.

I see more and more women using the sling. But most of them are using it incorrectly. I see slings bunched up at the shoulders and the neck! Or slings whose rings are halfway down the chest! Then I see women holding their babies in the slings but still carrying them while the sling sits loosely around the baby - so they are not slinging the baby but carrying the baby with an extra piece of cloth!

And this one takes the cake: I saw a baby sitting precariously in the sling, *straddling* the fabric, almost half falling out of it! I almost wanted to stop the mother and tell her. But KH said I should just mind my own business. The couple were Chinese nationals and my Chinese was not fantastic - plus they may not appreciate me telling them what to do! Barely a few minutes later I saw Nanz Chong-Komo carrying her baby in the sling - an MIM sling - but alas with the sling all bunched up near the neck and inner shoulder. Also salah! I was wearing my Maya sling and she sort of smiled at me. I didn't recognise her at first - it was KH who whispered to me who she was - but I felt like I should have told her. Maybe she would take it well??

Each time I see this, I feel an overwhelming urge to tell them they are doing it wrongly and show them how to do it right.

I once went out with Lulu and when we saw a woman whose sling was twisted at the back, she had no qualms about walking up to her and telling her and giving a free sling lesson. But me? I am not so confident. I don't know if they will take my advice well or see me as an interfering crackpot.

Still, I think every mom should have at least ONE baseline sling - a good cotton MIM that they can learn to use. And when they are more confident, they can 'graduate' to the silk MIMs or go for a Maya/Ella Roo. I also think the importance of the sling - and using it correctly - cannot be overemphasised. Perhaps even discussed in antenatal classes. I intend to do so for mine - especially the bit about newborn security, the rocking effect etc.

But the question still remains - the next time I see a woman with a poorly-used sling - should I tell her? And if so, what's a good opening line? Or should I just keep my big mouth shut?

6 comments:

Momto5 said...

Oh, as an extension to the post, I do have more than my fair share of aunties and grannies coming up to me to comment or ask about the sling, marvel at the use, the colours and even ask where or how I bought mine. Usually, they add that they are happy to see this 'old-fashioned' way of carrying the baby coming back.

I always enjoy these little encounters but kinda hard to tell them that its via the internet etc or even to say Jalan Pemimpin! But I say it's widely available in dept stores.

On the contrary, I do not get young mothers coming up to ask these questions. I sometimes see them looking at the sling, nudging their dhs surreptitiously about it, but they never come up to me.

Maybe like me, they are shy? I wish they would ask.

MIM said...

I have no idea where they got that MIM sling from. Not from me, obviously. The shoulder portion was so awful.

Cory said...

i had someone asking me about the maya pouch. and helped someone at kiddie palace put her baby in cos she was so flustered. :)

i think it's nice when a mother steps up to help another woman. i wish we had more of those :) women bonding. but then again, some people just rather not have help at all...

MIM said...

And if u approach these ppl, they might be offended and think "who do you think u are? Kaypoh!?!!".

S* said...

I would soooo love your free sling lesson! I switched from a cotton MIM sling to a baby bjorn because I found it much easier to use. If only somebody had come up to me whilst I was struggling with the wretched sling. Though no such luck, and we've used the baby bjorn untill the weight limit (9kg) and now I am bent on switching to the ergo baby carrier.

S* said...

I would soooo love your free sling lesson! I switched from a cotton MIM sling to a baby bjorn because I found it much easier to use. If only somebody had come up to me whilst I was struggling with the wretched sling. Though no such luck, and we've used the baby bjorn untill the weight limit (9kg) and now I am bent on switching to the ergo baby carrier.