Friday, January 05, 2007

words of wisdom

"Mummy, is it right to love your job first?" Isaac asked.

We were at Yakun Kaya Toast at United Square having a tea break after his kumon class. He was referring to a quote given by the owner of Yakun in an interview, excerpted and framed up on the wall right next to us.

Before I could reply, he went on: "I don't think it's right to love your job first. I think you have to love your children and wife first. Then comes your job."

I couldn't agree more.

I read the rest of the quote. It was about the need to have passion in your job, to put it above all else. Maybe this is why Yakun is such a huge success. Maybe this is how millionaires are made. But, IMO, something does not resonate right with me.

I believe one should have passion for a job, to love it and to enjoy it. Otherwise, what a chore it would be to just get up in the morning and go to work. But not putting someone else first - a spouse or children or family, what or who is there to work for? What drives you? After a while, material and monetary acquisition does become hollow. Particularly when one is at the twilight of one's life.

Pity this is not obvious to many. But luckily, it is to my son.

I hope he holds this thought for the rest of his life.

No comments: