Monday, November 13, 2006

Standoff at the Riang corral part 2

Sunday and we were out for lunch at Zi Yean, a new dim sum favourite with us. The drama started when we were getting out of the car. KH told Owain that he was not going to carry him and the little guy had to walk. It was not far - just less than 30m to the table.

The little guy refused.

The rest of us left the dad to get on with it while we went to the restaurant, placed our order etc. 15min later and KH still did not appear. Instead, Gillian came back and reported: mum, Owain does not want to get out of the car and dad asked you to go over.

So I went. As I approached the car, I saw a family - granny, adult kids, grandkids - huddling near our car, pointing to Owain, tsk-tsking away. I saw Owain's round face through the car windows, eyes screwed shut and mouth wide open wailing away. I saw KH's grim face. Ahh... okay. I get it: standoff.

KH didn't say a word. He walked away as I came. The other family continued standing there watching us quite openly. I guess they are wondering how I will handle this.

I told Owain: wait, let me get a tissue. He sniffled. I wiped his face, neck, shirt, hands - all full of saliva and tears. I asked: where are your shoes? He turned around and got them. Put them on. Come on down from the car. Hold my hand. Wait here while I lock the car. Come on, lets see the fish - ooh that one's dying! Come on, let's go and eat. And he did it - everything I told him to. No fuss.

The other family watching smiled in relief and one of them chucked Owain fondly on the cheek. I smiled back at them.

KH later told me that he knew that it was a standoff because Owain refused to budge and insisted on being carried while he, being The Dad, refused to relent and carry him. So he figured it was time for a neutral party to step in and defuse the situation. He said he could forsee getting into more standoffs with Owain, Cait and possibly Trinity in future. All three are very strong-willed personalities.

1 comment:

S* said...

Good luck! Parenting is indeed a godly mission, and I look forward to reading more stories of the Riang corral. Thanks for sharing your insights. My wookie and I are definitely going to have issues in a couple of months, and your blog gives me a preminotion of how to deal with it. By the way - I was diagnosed with dyslexia as well some time ago and it hasn't stopped me from becomming a lawyer. Kids are going to be able to anything they set their mind to, as long as they have the right kind of support. Good luck!