Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Stammering for help!

Was having usual morning brekkie and chat with KH today when he casually mentioned: Eh, you know Owain does not stammer as much these days ya?

I stop and think and you know, he's right. I say: yeah, probably because I am nursing him more these days?

I was trying to cut back on nursing because my nipples were so sore but because they are recently looking better, I have been nursing him more often and fobbing him off less. And yes, coincidence or not, it tallies with the stammering getting less.

KH comments then that our children cannot take 'cold turkey' treatment. Its too traumatising for them. I agree and say - maybe not just our children but probably all children. We can't just cut them off like that, it will affect them in some way.

KH, being very insightful today, says: well, that's the thing isn't it? If we just insist on OUR way and force it on the child, something will surely snap. Maybe we won't see it today, or even tomorrow. It may not show up for years and even then, the child or adult may not link it to what happened in his childhood, but then again, it just might.

KH himself stammers and recalls that it took him half an hour to get a sentence out once, when he was a child! Over the years, he managed to get it under control and stammers much less but once in a while, a word will still get him. He does believe though, that this happened because he was forced to be a right-hander instead of the lefty he believes he was born to be. He still favours his left - left master eye, carries bags on the left, kicks with left foot during soccer etc. He believes that somehow, the brain, when forced to shift/change direction, must have over-compensated and left him with the stammer.

Today's conversation reinforces what I believe re crying it out, co-sleeping, breastfeeding etc. At every age, they have their needs and if we just push through what we want at the expense of their needs, something invisible, intangible in them, will surely give.

As for Owain, I am glad that his stammering is getting less. I will certainly nurse him more, now that my boobies are feeling a little happier.

Though I have to say he looked darn cute trying to get his words out!

1 comment:

S* said...

Just curious - what do you believe about crying it out ? We are ready to try that out with Sophie, because she seems to yowl like a hyena when we put her down to nap, but then falls asleep reasonably quickly. Trying to go in to reassure her just makes her go frantic, and it seems kinder to just shut the door and leave her for a while to learn to fall asleep by herself. Still, it kills me to have to listen to her crying, and I am only doing this because all the literature seem to suggest that babies need to learn to fall asleep by themselves. Send me a mail with your response if you prefer. Thanks!