Monday, October 30, 2006

Small world

Been taking Cait to KK for follow-ups on her eye, which is getting better very nicely now! We can see more of those lovely peepers. Contusion still there but doc thinks it will go. Or they can aspirate, which he is reluctant to do - firstly because it is invasive and secondly, because it will risk infection. So we've decided to let it be and do nothing for now. If it does not get smaller, we go back and see him again in 3 weeks. Or I could email him.

As it turns out, the good doctor and I have met before. He looked a couple of times at me and then asked: have we met before? maybe you've come in to a&e... and i was about to say i don't think so, but i go in to a&e pretty often - check out my kids! then it struck me... or rather, he said it - SGH a&e and dengue fever. jackpot.

About 3 yrs ago, when Owain was 8 wks old, I contracted dengue with very high fever. (Yes those woozy days of nursing Owain and alternately freezing and sweating in front of Beep the Bus with thermometer in hand) At the SGH a&e, the good doc wanted to ward me because my platelet count was alarmingly low and I refused because they didn't want to let Owain in. This very doctor consulted with sr doctors who concurred that Owain was at risk of contracting the virus (hah!) and suggested putting him on formula (oh the very idea! Not a good one to suggest to a breastvocate like me). But all's well that ends well - they bent policy and allowed Owain to room in with me (a first for the hospital in a non-maternity ward) and I didn't bite his head off too much for suggesting this nonsense. Maybe too woozy to do so. Heh.

That aside I did think the doc was cute, had a wife pg with twins. And I remember telling him to go natural etc for the birth - the funniest thing! We had good vibes. Then months later, I met him and his wife at One North, the now defunct makansutra food place. We said hi of course. And now, years later, we meet again! Small world indeed.

The good doc now has another baby 18months old. But both births were sections. I asked him why. Said first birth had to be section because one twin was breech. Hmm... as far as I know now, breech presentation would not be a problem with twins. Second birth was also a section. So you know I had a lot to say about that. He marvelled that I now had 5 kids - and proud of 'em! And was intrigued that I had not vaccinated my 3 babes. We would be happy to chat but he had a long line of patients, so he gave his email addy. To be continued!

1 comment:

S* said...

Wow?! What a small world. But why haven't you vaccinated your 3 babes? Now I am intrigued. Do email me too!