Monday, October 23, 2006

Record number

9 fissures. Yes, count 'em. Two of them at least 1cm long. Several of them less than 0.5cm but all over the nipple, the sides, the base etc. Add to that, a blocked duct.

Last night/this morning, as usual, Owain asked for nen-nen which I gave. But the pain was so gut-wrenchingly bad, I had to pull him off after just a few sucks, less than five minutes. It was so unusually excruciating that it throbbed and stung even after he had gone off the breast. I lay there and cried in the dark. Then got out of bed to see what or why it was so bad.

So at 4.31am in the morning, I sat in the landing outside the bedroom, and counted the cuts - all bleeding and watery, and with a breast that is rock-hard from all the accumulated milk. Ended up grabbing a sterile bottle and handexpressing. Then Owain came out to look for me, sniffling and asking for nen-nen and I could not give it to him. It was just too painful. Poor boy.

Now in the office, expressed the affected breast by hand and feeling feverish. With all the cuts, I am afraid of infection getting in and complicating the picture. Last thing I need is mastitis joining the happy party here.

1 comment:

Karmeleon said...

sounds like it, leh. The danger of infection setting in. How's it today ??