Thursday, October 12, 2006

Reading...

A Civil Contract - Georgette Heyer
Raising Boys - Steve Biddulph
A Wrinkle in Time - Madeline L'Engle
the latest edition of National Geographic...

Georgette Heyer is comfort reading. Think a more accessible entry into Jane Austen's time. Authentic language, styling, lots of dry good wit, restrained regency romance. Been reading Heyer since sec sch days and I have a decent collection of her books. So once in a while, I'd go back to her just for comfort. The series has been recently re-issued and the new Bishan Lib has loads of those. So I've been borrowing the ones I don't have. Still good after all these years. The heroines are all sensible and intelligent - none of the bosom-heaving, ripped cleavage sort! And the men - definitely not of the Fabio make but elegant, polite and noble.

Raising Boys - not a book I read at one sitting so this is read in snatches, paras, slowly digested. Read it before but still a good book to re-read.

Wrinkle in Time - my new fave. A children's classic which I have only just discovered. Love it so much I want to get the whole Time trilogy.

And NG... always a good flip and browse - also read in snatches. Fascinating read in this month's issue on the 3million year old baby skull which was recently found. Always looking for new insights into how humans evolved and how this impacted birth, babyhood and childhood.

So you know my reading habits - just like my life - too many balls/books in the air.

1 comment:

S* said...

Hi momto5!

Surfed here from lulu's mummy's milk blog.

Life at Riang sounds really interesting and packed (though sometimes a little spooky). I read your blog when my baby sleeps and I wonder how you have so much time and energy for 5 kids. Sometimes when my bubs is wailing and grumpy and needing my breast and attention all day, I think she is going to be an only child!