Monday, October 16, 2006

Hit the books and hit the ground running...

After months of dilly-dallying and going into a nice stupor, my graddip studies have suddenly roared back to life. I am reminded that I have only 2 months to go and loads of work to do. D-Day Dec 31 2006 - graduation.

But first, to get there, I've got to complete my supervised series, write reams of papers - lesson plans etc, borrow a videocam to record my sessions, write my observations of various maternal-child health services here in Singapore, complete a video presentation unit... God help me!! I've written to KKWCH to ask permission to sit in on one of their classes, study the lactation unit, the hospital practices etc. But no reply yet... yikes! I've already completed three birth observations, and the birth centre in Bangkok (but lost my notes! See how klutz I am!!)... but there's loads more to be done.

I am really seriously thinking of throwing it in. But the thought of chucking 5k down the grinder with nothing to show really makes me feel kinda ill.

I can see the BP rising and late nights looming. So much for a peaceful year end! I'd be busy racing to the finish line with all the work that is left.

On top of that, work in the office is also piling up and I am sitting on at least 5 different committees in the poly. There's at least one audit, two major publications, three major events coming up and I am in serious danger of losing at least one of the balls I am desperately juggling now.

The good thing about all this is: my coursemates from Down Under and I are back in touch and we are keeping each other's spirits up as much as possible. Helen, Gill, Vina and me - the last of the Grad Dippers. Everyone is facing some level of stress and work in the Grad Dip, but I reckon mine is worse. I promise never, never, never to do this to myself again. Make this the one and only paper qualification I will ever have. Will remind KH to please, please kick me in the butt if I ever even think about doing another course like this!

Why oh why didn't I take up mom's advice to just learn driving instead of this monster-load Grad Dip CBE???

No, no... must look ahead, think positive, not negative! This time next year I can put alphabets next to my name! (if I ever get through the next 3 months and finish the course lah)

What cheap thrills I live for...

3 comments:

Karmeleon said...

You CAN do both. Learn driving AND do your Grad Dip. Driving lessons are not as difficult as your diploma studies, lah!!!

MIM said...

Thumbs up for the last stretch of the Dip studies, by the way! You can do it --> with distinction!

Karmeleon said...

aiyoh - go, go ,go, lah. go learn to drive!!!! ;-)