Tuesday, October 31, 2006

False measles. Dang.

Trinity Rose passed her first birthday on Monday covered in spots. The spots came as the fever broke on Sunday. While I knew that in all likelihood it was going to false measles, the way the spots erupted (behind the ears, on the head, then spead downwards as the days passed - to the trunk, arms and legs) gave me hope that it was measles. Even Lolita took one look and said it was measles. But Trin didn't have any other symptoms and I knew the risk of it being measles was tiny with obedient singaporeans queuing up to jab their babies. If I wanted her to catch measles naturally, I would stand a better chance of it in England than in Singapore!

Those who know me know why I am so eager to put my kids through a natural course of what has been marketed as a 'killer disease', 'full of suffering' etc.

The bullseye I am aiming for is natural immunity - lifelong immunity. My Get Out of MMR Free card from the Chance pile of life.

But unfortunately, the dr took one look at Trin this morning and said, nope - false measles.

Dang. Maybe I ought to buy them all plane tickets to England.

No comments: