Monday, August 28, 2006

In the eyes and mouth

Noticed the boy has a bit of red-eye and the conjunctiva looked swollen. So I asked him to come over so that I can squirt some breastmilk into his eye. Always worked like a charm - within 20min of administering some breastmilk, the pink-eye always improves, thanks to the anti-bacterial properties of breastmilk. So much better and faster than the usual eye-drops the doctors give.

But this time, the boy was dawdling and refused to let me put some in his eye. After some cajoling, he and said: "You give nen-nen in the eye. How about nen-nen in the mouth also?"

Yep. Never lose an opportunity to nurse.

Nursing Owain this long means it's the longest I have ever nursed any baby. And because he is so verbal at 3 years old, it's so much fun to listen to all the negotiations and wise words that come out from his mouth when it comes to nursing.

Such as: "Breastmilk makes me stronger and bigger!"

"I like nen-nen! It tastes like ice-cream!"

"Please mummy, please can I drink nen-nen?" and when I say no, he clasps both chubby hands together and pleads: "Just a little bit, just a little while, please, please!" and if I still say no, he goes: "Arrrgggh!"

When he sees me nursing Trinity, he persuades: "I drink together with Trinity! Please mom, I like it!"

So while on one hand I get really antsy with his frequent nursing sessions, as frequent as 5 minutes apart sometimes, on the other, I wish he would never stop. Or at least, not so soon.

2 comments:

lulu said...

Ruvie recently had some infection in the eye or something. I couldn't see any lumps or cysts, neither did he seem to complain of any discomfort (but nursed a lot more overnight). But there was LOADS of pus/eyesh*t coming out both eyes.

I did the milk squirt and it cleared up within about 3-5 days. Probably would have taken longer to heal if we had gone to the doctor's.

Thanks for teaching me this trick, so long ago d:)

http://talktomebaby.blogspot.com/

makeupmag said...

Your description of O talking about/through nursing reminds me so much of Z, who was more verbal at 3 than Isaac. BM cures all (well, virtually!) :D