Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Humpty Dumpty

...fell on some rocks and cracked his head open.

Owain, my fishball, round-shaped Owain, did a Humpty Dumpty on Sunday. We were at the reservoir trying to catch some unsuspecting prawns. It was a nice golden evening. KH and the kids were perched on rocks, patiently luring the prawns out with some bait. I was sitting on a bench nursing Trinity. I saw Owain throwing one of his crocs into the water and called out to him: "Owain! Shoe!" The boy retrieved it and I continued nursing and day-dreaming. Next thing I knew Gillian yelled: "Mum! Owain fell! He's bleeding!"

Being mom to 5, you can really write the chapter on kid accidents so I was slow to react, Trinity was still latched on and I remained seated. Then I saw two women (other mothers!) racing towards him and something told me this was different from the scrape and cut we were used to.

I unlatched Trinity and yelled for KH to go over. By the time we reached Owain, blood was dripping from a deep open gash in his forehead. Dead centre. One mother said, "Give him some sugar. Got any sweets?" and I remember saying automatically: "It's ok, I'm breastfeeding. Breastmilk is sweet." And true to form, my injured babe was yelling: "I want NEN-NEN!!"

Everything happened so fast. We didn't even thank the mothers for the tissue papers. I told KH: "Hospital. Now." So I cradled Owain while KH organised the kids, the nets, the pails of prawn - "Throw them back! We can't bring them to the hospital with us!" I yelled. To which Isaac groaned: "WHAT! After all my hard work!"

So we ran - sort of - KH ran. It was marvellous to see what adrenalin can do to an out-of-shape 40ish man. All that IPPT training worked after all. Carrying Owain and running was like carrying a full-pack and running - same weight!

He drove like a bat out of hell - horning, flashing lights, cutting lanes. Until I told him to better slow down or we won't make it there at all. Funny how it is that faced with these situations, the man freaks out. I am calm - been there done that remember? Not the first emergency run to the hospital after all.

At the emergency room, Owain was examined and stitches recommended. But because he would scream blue murder and struggle, the drs recommended keeping him under GA. So KH sent the older kids home while Trinity and I accompanied Owain up to the ward - he was seated in a wheelchair!

Surgeon came later and explained the process. Said that he would give Owain an injection to make him sleep. I asked the doc to give some lidocaine gel before jabbing him. Doc said no need. I glared at him. For all of Owain's life, I have protected him from any injections - and that includes vaccinations. And here he is, being jabbed. Then I said: what about me nursing him so it would not be so painful? Doc said no, no food and drink. I said breastmilk is so easily digestible its not considered food. Doc started to explain risks of gastric aspiration. As if I didn't know that. I opened my mouth to argue. KH said firmly: OK no breastmilk. I gave HIM the evil eye.

By 9pm, the thrill of non-stop cartoons was wearing thin and he began fretting for nen-nen. Thanks to his evil dad, I said: no, but I will nurse you later ok? The boy was a trouper and agreed. For all of 10minutes - then he asked again! And again!

We went up to the operating theatre at 10pm. Owain looked so cute in a hospital gown and shower cap. I asked him who he wanted to bring him in, and pang of pangs, he said: daddy!

I felt ambivalent. On one hand, I didn't want to be the one to hold him while he got jabbed. Could not stand to watch him feeling pain. On the other hand, we've never been separated like this. Aside from the one night that I birthed Trinity, he has always been with me.

So as KH took him in, KH also dressed in green surgical scrubs, I stood outside the OT doors and peered in through the glass. For some reason, I felt like crying.

How long can you protect a child? I thought of his smooth, lovely wide and clear forehead, now to be marred by a scar and I felt a rush of tears. I stood there, carrying Trinity and waiting until I saw KH coming out. Then he gave me and Trin a hug and we stood there waiting until we saw the nurse carrying a tiny figure bundled in a white blanket.

We brought him down to his room but he was clearly knocked out. KH ta-paoed char kway teow which we fell on and devoured - so hungry were we! We both spent the night with him and at 1am, I heard a tentative, groggy sounding: mummy? I want nen-nen... I'm so glad that I can still give him something that comforts and heals.

Today is Wednesday and he seems fine. The wound seems to be oozing but he reports no pain. Stoic boy. Fearless, he's back in form - jumping, running, building his lego robots.

Tomorrow he turns 3. What a ride it has been. My big-head-boy, my superman. My first gentle birth 3 years ago, my biggest baby ever, has grown into a sturdy, generous, happy, good-natured charmer with a mischievous grin.

I'm so glad Humpty Dumpty survived the fall after all.

2 comments:

lulu said...

I am almost in tears as I read this. Poor darling O. And so brave. Good to hear he's the same old self now.

Hope to join you all for the lobster fishing when you're ready.

Karmeleon said...

Oh my - how's the wound now? Can imagine the trauma and the worry. Timmy had a gaping wound that just kept bleeding & bleeding last year - all thanks to a Beyblade accident (friend whipped right into his face *sigh*). And it was right between his eyes. What an accurate aim, eh? I was worried b/c it wouldn't stop bleeding, but DH was the calmer one since he was in St John's for many years. It eventually stopped, so there was no trip to KKH. If you look closely at Timmy, you'll see the scar between his eyes.

Maybe it'll disappear when he's older. Children's skin rejuvenate much easier.

But it sounds like Owain's all up & running already! Must have been such a terrible time for you all that day though!!!

SAM
http://karmeleon.blogspot.com/